Tuesday, October 23, 2012

The Second Cup - Part 2

My walk to "work"

This is the place I go to work on my cup. It's called Snekker'n, which means The Carpenter.


Today I carved a little more by hand, but the cup became too deep to use hand tools further. So I used this Kulebor, or Ball Drill, to finish hollowing out the middle and expanding the sides. It's a neat little machine, but sawdust flies everywhere!


Here I am, using the Ball Drill and covered in sawdust. Black is maybe not the best color to wear while working with wood, if you care about that kind of thing. Make sure to keep your fingers out of the way!


Here the cup is finished being hollowed out, and is ready for some shaping.


I had to have help on the heavy machinery. I don't know what it's called, but I call it the Finger-Chopper-Off-er. Here, the outside of the cup is being roughly formed, cutting away the excess wood along the guide lines I had drawn on earlier. The next step is sanding, using the huge belt sander pictured below. This is a rough sanding, also to give shape and flatten the bottom of the cup.

The Huge Belt Sander


Here is the cup after I used the belt sander, as well as another circular sanding machine to give rough shape to the outside of the cup. This is as far as I came today, but I was only there for 2 1/2 hours, so that's pretty good, considering. Next Monday I will  be using yet another sanding machine to give final shape to the outside of the cup, then it's on to sand paper and hand sanding both the inside and outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment